- Question: Identify one aspect of popular culture in your own life that you will be thinking about more critically after this class is over. How has your thinking about this example of pop culture changed since January? Explain how your changed thinking will affect the way you use, view or interact with that particular example of pop culture, as well as popular culture in general.
- In general I am thinking so much more critically, but especially about advertisements, I never really realized what an effect they have on me and people in general. When looking at a magazine I can see the different ways advertisers are trying to sell their products. I didn't realize how much advertisers convince us that we NEED a product because we DESERVE it. This class has really helped me become more aware of the different techniques that are used to persuade Americans to buy something. I know that we didn't go into as much detail on the different advertising techniques, but all of the analyzing we did in class helped me look at things in the advertising industry more in depth.
- Questions like why did advertisers choose that color and what did they mean by putting that in there ad come to mind now. I was even in Target the other day and noticed how their marketers arranged the store, they don't put all the beauty products or hygiene items in one section of the store they are spread out through out the store. Which is another way for marketers to try and get to buy more, because as your walking to try and find what you are looking for, you find all this other stuff that look neat, or that you think you need. I never would have noticed that before this class. My eyes were really opened up to how we are bombarded by all this advertising whether it be subliminal or not where ever we go.
- Advertisement examples:
this ad is SO stereotypical, the family is white, happy and there's 4 of them, in most ads with families they display these characteristics
There is a picture under this link that has a lot to say about what advertisements can do children starting at a young age.
- http://myeslsite.com/Reading/ComprehensionExercises/Media%20Literacy/PersuasiveTechniques/AdTechniquesReading.htm (Advertising techniques that we are all exposed to)
- ** I didn't really know what to put for links because this was more of a reflection blog as opposed to a research one. **

No comments:
Post a Comment